Founded by Charles V for the education of the Moors, are one of the best examples of Renaissance civil architecture in Catalonia. The cloister, considered unique in the country, has represented the busts of kings of the Crown of Aragon, from Ramon Berenguer IV to Philip IV. The church is home of the Interpretation Centre Renaissance. This is a space that embodies the Renaissance a place of continuous activity, which in turn manages and publicizes the heritage created during the years of existence of the Renaissance Festival, festival of historical recreation.
Tortosa, in the sixteenth century, was one of the most important cities in Catalonia and had a school for the training of Dominican theologians, whose fame led the authorities to build another school annex for the formation of new Christians. Both would be known as the Royal Colleges of Tortosa and would become the embryo of future college where you could get a doctorate in Theology and a BA in Philosophy and Art.
The architectural known as the Royal Colleges will consist of three buildings: the College of Sant Jaume i Sant Maties, the College of Sant. Domènec i Sant Jordi and the church of Sant Domènec (now the Renaissance Interpretation Centre).
College of Sant Jaume and Sant Matíes presents a quite simple facade, in which the access portal focuses on receiving a pronounced monumental treatment. In the center is depicted the imperial shield of its founder, Charles I.
The figures of St. James and St. Matthias, patrons of the school, are in niches crowned by the figure of an angel, the Guardian Angel, patron of the city. Notably structure above the courtyard, fully Italian, with a rich iconography praising the monarchy, work of the sculptor Francisco Montehermoso.
The parapet of the second gallery becomes a frieze carved with shields and effigies of the royal couples of the Crown of Aragon, from Ramon Berenguer IV and Petronilla of Aragon to Philip III and Margaret of Austria. In the spandrels are the first gallery of busts that could be Jews and Moors, and in the second, the image efigiada within medallions prophets and apostles. The symbols of the evangelists are represented on the ground floor of the courtyard, while the second gallery on the outside, and occupying the corners appear four Carasses as personifications of the winds. This building, also known as College above, was originally dedicated to the education of children of converts as part of the strategy designed by the Crown in order, to evangelize and assimilate culturally Moriscos. It currently houses the local historical archive of Baix Ebre.
College of Sant Jordi and Sant Domènec seems that the author traces the building was Martin Garcia Mendoza, master of Tortosa cathedral between 1581 and 1615, and one of the most prominent architects of the territory the diocese during the Renaissance. Even he was called to give his opinion as an expert in numerous buildings, among them the Palace of the Generalitat in Barcelona.
The original building preserved some specific elements. Stresses the doorway, inspired by Sebastiano Serlio's work, which appears in an inscription indicating its function Sapientiae Domus (House of Wisdom). The upper body is chaired by the shield of Philip II. The arch of the entrance is flanked by the heraldic Dominicans. Originally dedicated to the study of theology and also called School low, after the secularization of 1835 the convent was used as a military barracks and suffered the effects of civil war in 1936. He is currently the headquarters of the Official School of Languages.
Church of Sant Domènec was built in the sixteenth century, after the aforementioned buildings. It is a single nave without transept with chapels located between the buttresses. Stresses the doorway decorated by sculptures of great quality that were cropped in the nineteenth century. The portal is crowned with the Episcopal weapons of the founder, Bishop Izquierdo.
Inside the church, in front of the presbytery, there are the tombstones of Baltasar Sorió reader Cathedral and Juan Izquierdo, bishop of Tortosa 1574 to 1585, the main promoters of the foundation and construction of the Royal Collection schools.
There are also other elements that were not part of the original set, from the former Casa de la Ciudad. Presiding over the nave is the site of the old file cabinet Tortosa. Notably its symbolic value refers to the origins of the municipal archive, as well as the interior decoration with Tortosa's shield and the presence of the Guardian Angel, patron of the city.
Embedded in the inner wall of the current exit to the Mossèn Sol Square there is the portal of the study of the old town hall, corresponding to the building built in the sixteenth century street Town, which was overthrown in 1915.
With the confiscation of 1835, and the disappearance of the Dominican order, the church was occupied by military units until 1910, when it was recovered by the municipality to house the Museum-Archive city. Currently the file is located in the building of the College of St. James and St. Matthias.
Interpretation Centre The Renaissance Interpretation Centre is located in the Renaissance church of Santo Domingo was built in the sixteenth century, after the other two buildings of the Royal Colleges. This spreads throughout the year and continuously Renaissance Festival, history and cultural heritage of the city and the region during this period and prolonged contact with the citizens and visitors throughout the year.
From 1 May to 30 September:
Closed on Mondays.
Tuesday to Saturday: 10 to 13: 30h and 16:30 to 19: 30h
Sundays and holidays: 10 to 13: 30h
Rest of the year:
Closed on Mondays.
Tuesday to Saturday: 10 to 13: 30h and 15:30 to 18: 30h
Sundays and holidays: 11 to 13: 30h
On 25 and 26 December and 1 January of the Renaissance Interpretation Centre will be closed.
General: 3 €
* Over 65: 2 €
* Single-parent families : 2 €
* Disabled: 2 €
* Students: 2 €
* Sefarad Card Holders: 2 €
* Privilegium Card holders, issued at Morella or Alcañíz: 2 €
* Tortosa Card Holders: Free
* Tourist Guides: Free
* Teachers: Free
* ICOM members: Free
Children under 14: Free
* Club Super 3 members: Free
Groups between 15 and 49 people (per person): € 2
Groups of 50 people or more (per person): 1 €
Last Sunday of the month: Free
* You will need documentation to prove.