Plaça Sant Joan, 5
Location in Google Maps
This baroque building is located in Sant Joan square and houses the Occupational Training Centre, the Community Centre of Tortosa and the Art and Design School of the Regional Council of Tarragona.
It was built in a baroque style in 1734. In 1811, during the Napoleon war, it was seized by the invaders and used as a war hospital and an arms depot. In 1814 the hospitable nuns of Sant Joan of Jerusalem returned there and, once it had been refurbished, they took up their contemplative life there again. In 1936 it was attacked and set on fire. It was refurbished in 1941 and they stayed there until 1967. After this it was converted into the Community Centre of Tortosa and now it also houses the Social Services Institute, the Workshop Training Centre and the Art and Design School of Tarragona.