The Prince’s Gardens, Santiago de Santiago’s Outdoor Sculpture Museum

Tortosa Card

The Prince’s Gardens, Santiago de Santiago’s Outdoor Sculpture Museum

Pujada Castell de la Suda, 1 43500 Tortosa 977442005

info@tortosaturisme.cat

Statue Gardens Information Point

THE PRINCE'S GARDENS

On 10 April 1989, Tortosa City Council approved the proposal by the José Celma Prieto Foundation to make a sculpture museum in the romantic gardens of the former resort of pigs. Santiago Santiago Hernandez was the only artist commissioned to carry out the project. Become reality and supported by the Foundation said, was opened by the Prince of Asturias and Girona, Philip VI today, 23 September 1991. Since then, the place called Prince's Gardens.

The collection, with 48 sculptures, a panoramic view encompasses all throughout history, with the title "the man, his motivation and his destiny." We can see representations of primitive man, but also achieving some stellar moments, the rebel punished by the gods, the tragedy of Hiroshima and even a symbolic representation of the conquest of space. The central monolith is 7.5 meters high by 40 figures in black marble from Calatorao shows passions of mankind, the release of these passions and final triumph at your fingertips. In addition, a bust, chiseled Santiago Santiago also shows the continued appreciation of the patrician patronage Tortosa towards the city. The monumental is unique in the state.

The botanical collection of Prince's Gardens contains native species such as boxwood, oleander, capers or tortellatge. In addition there is the country's palm Canary Island date palm, the date palm and Washingtonia robusta. At the top, with jagged margins of dry stone, it is mixed laurels and nettle with the pine of Paris, the white pine  and the canary pine . Among the various species around the world, there are suggestive varieties such as the chorisia, the cedar, the Brachychiton, the Araucaria and the ginkgo biloba .

SANTIAGO DE SANTIAGO HERNANDEZ

Santiago Hernandez Santiago, an artist born in 1925 in Avila Navaescurial, has his studio in Madrid Fuente del Berro colony, where he had his family home: "Here I started, and had only one room .. ".

His art out of stone, marble, the bronze, wood and mud. His production is extensive and recognized around the world, from Tokyo to New York from Korea to Sydney from Madrid and from Tortosa to the rest of Europe.

Self-taught, he studied sculpture in France, Italy and Japan and made his first solo exhibition in Madrid in 1959. Since then he has starred in many important artistic events. It is possibly the first sculptor of the state female portrait, and also one of the few who normally exhibit in Japan, Russia, the United States, Mexico ... His works enrich the world's leading museums and their Chisel large sculptures have come to public places, human figures and busts of statesmen, princes, writers, scientists, celebrities and aristocrats.

Excels also their religious sculpture serene and also creates jewelry and pendants formosos small and full of grace. One can easily perceive the emotion expended by the author conceived all works, and gives them life. Occasionally, the essentialisation forms has led to abstraction in a balanced game of rhythms and volumes.

Internationally renowned teacher, has been centenarts diplomas, awards, medals and prizes.

PORCAR'S SPA

In the nineteenth century, Jaume Tió i Noé destined the source of the orchard inherited medieval Poor Clares at hygienic furnish the Tio´s bathrooms. The improvement in the health of some fortuitous swimmers and recommendations brought some galena and Uncle Manuel Porcar, who then was its owner, in order to analyze the water, 1882. Verified medical criteria and properties medicinal the spring was praised as a panacea. The waters bicarbonate, ferruginous, declared of public utility medicinal, get awards and gold medals for academic and international scientific events.

In 1890, Porcar, wealthy financial Tortosan oliaire and mayor of Barcelona, ​​designed the complex therapeutic, recreational and tourism. It's created the necessary infrastructure and designing romantic gardens, adorned with sculptures and water 26 (the development of the garden, except a bit affected by access to the Parador, has reached the same). Sources and St. John Health, discovered in 1900, will join the original source of the Virgen de la Esperanza. The theater, the main cultural center of the city and the casino, historicist style, were meeting for the wealthy and stage meetings, tributes and events such as the premiere of the play "Terra Baixa" playwright and poet Angel Guimerà.

The medical progress and the banning of the game in 1923 motivated the closure of spas. At the site of the theater burned that year was installed a summer terrace, active until 1942. The Congregation of the Salesian Sisters Salesian Sisters of Don Bosco bought the buildings still standing spa which, adorned with sculptures and garden religious, became the center for aspiring applicants and the community. In 1957, there opened a primary school. When Salesian abandoned Tortosa, 1970, the City acquired it.

REMOLINS WALL

The architectural heritage is the largest military Tortosa, Catalonia and rich and varied, with a perimeter of 6 km, one of the most important sets fortified state in quality and extent. Miscellaneous excellent defensive constructions of different chronological phases (from Roman times to the new buildings of the late seventeenth and early eighteenth century, the most representative of Spanish military architecture). Some forts and bastions exceed 50,000 m2.

The Prince's Gardens allow access to the medieval city walls Eddies, located in the N-NE sector, which preserves the unchanged line and is part of the walled enclosure of the fourteenth century, tangible in various parts of the city. The wall presents significant modifications to the introduction of new techniques and, although the profile crenellated upper body part is missing, include the walk round and loopholes. The section, defended the Renaissance the fret of the Brotherhood of the parish of St. James, is flanked by fortified towers: the bottom of the ravine, that of Celio, the fourteenth century and also called Grossa, and the upper part, attached to the Advanced St. John, the remains of two square towers. The floor of the Wall Street Crossing canvas can trace connecting the monumental portal Vimpesol, both demolished in the nineteenth century.

In the middle of the Remolins wall, street Figuereta opens the Jews Ferrer door , on  the last third of the fourteenth century, where the defense stepped up the mountainside. This secondary access the call gave way, outside the walls, in the Jewish cemetery. The fact of becoming out orchards and villages on the left bank with floods favored him the name of Salva - Aigües.

Opening Hours:

From 1 May to 30 September:

Closed on Monday.

Tuesday to Saturday: 10 to 13: 30h and 17 to 20: 00h

Sundays and holidays: 10 to 13: 30h

Rest of the year:

Closed on Monday.

Tuesday to Saturday: 10 to 13: 30h and 16 to 19: 00h

Sundays and holidays: 11 to 13: 30h

Closed on 25th and 26th December, 1st of January and the first Sunday of September.

RATES

General: 3 €
* Over 65: 2 €
* Single-parent families: 2 €
* Disabled: 2 €
* Students: 2 €
* Sefarad Card Holders: 2 €
* Privilegium Card Holders, issued at Morella or Alcañiz: 2 €
* Tortosa Card Holders: Free
* Tourist Guides: Free
* Teachers: Free
* ICOM members: Free
Children under 14: Free
* Club Super 3 members: Free
Groups between 15 and 49 people (per person): 2 €
Groups of 50 people or more (per person): 1 €

Last Sunday of the month: Free

* You have to be accredited with the relevant documentation.

Ubication