The Santa Clara neighbourhood lies on the northern side of the hill of Sitjar, this and the Carrer de Montcada (a main street in the middle ages). Its narrow, winding streets adapt to the urban topography of the side of the hill, giving the neighbourhood a special atmosphere.
The convent of Santa Clara, standing on the same slope and bordered to the east by the 14th-century wall, has its origins in the Templar church of Sant Miquel, used as a dormitory, of which the pointed arches still survive. It can be seen from any high point in the town. It was given to the nuns at the beginning of the 13th century, making it one of the Poor Clare order's earliest convents. It is a splendid example of Gothic religious architecture. Particularly outstanding is the cloister, dating from the late 13th century, in typical Provençal Gothic style. Of the original cloister, the north and west wings survive, built with trefoil arches supported on twin columns with a double base, distinctive features of Catalan Gothic.
It was seriously damaged during the Spanish Civil War of 1936-1939.