The fact that Tortosa was a stronghold right up to the 20th Century, as it has long been a strategic site both in terms of the riverfront and coast, overlooking the mouth of the river, also important for land transportation, with the Via Augusta making the city a compulsory stop-off point between Barcelona and Valencia, has also given the city a great degree of importance in defensive and military terms worthy of its illustrious and monumental past.
In varying degrees of conservation, the city still preserves an extensive network of walls and fortifications dating back to various periods, enabling us to find an amazing variety of constructions, both in terms of type and materials.
The Tenasses enclosure is an external fortification, covering a considerable area, adapted to the military requirements of the time, at the start of the 18th Century, when it was built. Constructed in the most northerly hill in the neighbourhood of Remolins, it served as an outpost in front of the barrier of the city wall in the northern sector of the city. Separated from the city by the Cèlio gully, it also overlooked the route northwards that worked its way upstream along the River Ebro.
Despite the wear and tear caused by the passing of time, its appearance has hardly changed from one of the earliest graphic records we have, in a map from 1750.