The bridge over the river Ebro in Tortosa is the most significant masonry work on the railway line from Valencia to Tarragona. Its construction was very laborious and delayed the final inauguration of the line, which, as usual, had been put into service in sections. The bridge was finally inaugurated on June 21, 1868 and was rebuilt after the Civil War.
Currently, it has been rehabilitated and put into use as a starting point for the Greenway of the Val de Zafán that connects Tortosa with Alcañiz and Puebla de Híjar. This is a non-motorized route for cyclists, walkers, skaters, horses, etc.