The origins of this section of fortification dates back to the Medieval period of the 14th Century, as a result of the urban expansion onto the hill and the route of the city wall that links to the construction of the Gateways of Santa Clara (or Tarragona) and Sant Joan (or Sant Francesc) down to the river. The name comes from the silos (sitges) that were used to store wheat. Later, in the 18th Century, barracks were built here. Nowadays, since 1975, the Hospital Verge de la Cinta sits atop the hill.
First built in 1373, the Tarragona Gateway was integrated and adapted within the new circuit of city walls, in the outskirts of Tortosa, without being affected by the demolition of the city walls at the end of the 19th Century, as it is in an area that was not developed until a few decades ago. Its walls connect to the splendid El Rastre wall that dates back to the early Middle Ages.
The current defensive layout of the hill began in the 16th Century, a period of modernization, expansion and adaptation to the new systems of defence around its perimeter. The three ramparts (Victòria or Carme, Les Creus and Sant Crist) have a polygonal floor, that is more or less pentagonal, with the interior filled with earth in order to fit artillery pieces inside.